Frequently Asked QuestionsGeneral Advertising Questions
- How do I place an order?
- How many lines does my ad have to be?
- Can I abbreviate words in my ad?
- How do I cancel my advertisement?
- What qualifies for these special package rates?
- Can I change the text or publication dates after I've completed my order?
- What if I can't find the classification I need?
- What if I want my ad to run for more or fewer days than what's offered?
- I'm a contract advertiser with the Times. Can I place my ad online?
- Can I advertise in just one county?
- Will I get a refund for canceling my ad early?
- What are your deadlines?
- Am I able to see the ads I've ordered on the Web as well as those ordered through the Tampa Bay Times?
- Is your site accessible 24/7?
- How do I enhance my ad online?Free Classified Ad Questions
- What qualifies as a free ad?
- How do you define ‘personal merchandise’?
- How many free ads may I order?
- Where can I view the free ads?
- How do I place a free ad?
- Why do some categories offer free ads and others do not?
- Can I include an attention-getting graphic or bold text with my free ad?
- What if I need more than three lines to describe my item?
- How much do paid Classified listings cost?
- How do I renew my free ad?
- How do I edit or cancel my free ad?Payment Questions
- What payment methods can I use?
- When will my credit card be charged?
- Why do I have to re-enter my credit card every time I place an order on my existing account?
- I've received an error message on the payment page. Did my order go through?Technical Questions
- What if I forgot my password?
- How does enabling cookies on my browser help keep the site secure?
- Why did the site automatically log me out?
- What do I do if I get a System Error?
- My page keeps looping back or is not updating.
- What browsers and systems do you support?
- Troubleshooting For Common Issues
Placing an order with tampabay.com online is easy and convenient. There is no need to create an account first. The system will prompt you to create an account when you place your first order online.
These special advertising packages are billed at a minimum of 3 lines or 5 lines, depending upon the classification selected.
These special package rates apply to non-business, private individuals offering their items for sale. If you're a business, please call (877) 321-7355.
Anything except the first word of your ad can be abbreviated. Please keep in mind that readers may be confused or aggravated by abbreviations. Also remember that abbreviations may make it impossible for a reader to keyword search your ad online. Our advice is to use them sparingly or not at all.
To cancel your advertisement, call toll free any time, 1-877-321-7355. There are no refunds or credits for cancelled ads.
To make any changes after you have purchased your online advertisement, please call toll free 1-877-321-7355, any time.
At this time, not all classifications are available for online ad placement. Please call our toll free number any time,
At this time, we offer only specific advertising packages that publish a set amount of days for a flat rate. If you do not see a package that fits your needs, please call toll free, 1-877-321-7355.
Any employment customer is welcome to utilize online ad placement. However, contract customers should be aware that any employment ads placed online will not counts towards contract fulfillment at this time.
For maximum results, our special online advertising packages publish in our complete five-county circulation area. For specific product advertising, please call toll-free, 1-877-321-7355.
You are welcome to cancel your ad to eliminate future calls by calling 1-877-321-7355. However, our special online advertising packages are billed the same rate whether it runs one day or the full term of the order.
Please see our complete online deadline information, which can also be found in the yellow help boxes on the right side of each page.
Yes. Once logged in, click on View Account Manager.
Yes, with the exception of the last Saturday of the month between 12am-6am EST for server maintenance.
Within minutes of completing your ad, you will receive an email with instructions on how to enhance it. You may do any or all of the following:
- Upload as many as eight photos.
- Provide an extensive description.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Your credit card will be charged the amount quoted at the time you click the BUY NOW button. The charge on your credit card statement will read "Tampa Bay Times." Please be aware that the Tampa Bay Times does not call advertisers to ask for their credit card number after the original ad placement. All billing applications are completed at the time of ad placement.
Even though our site is secure (we use Secure Sockets Layer Software for all credit card processing), some customers are uncomfortable with us storing their credit card information. For convenience, we store all billing information except your credit card.
Make sure that you have selected the correct expiration date. Verify that the credit card number was entered correctly. If you are using a new (or recently reissued) credit card, please be sure that you have activated the new card before entering it into the order form.
If you have an account, but have forgotten your password, click the "forgot password" link directly below your user name. You will be prompted for the e-mail address you gave when your account was created. Your password will be emailed to you as soon as you submit it.
If you no longer use the e-mail address you used to create your account, you can create a new account.
If you experience any trouble retrieving your password,
call 1-877-321-7355 during normal business hours. We do not have access to view customers' passwords
Our site is secure, cookies or not. The reason we use browser cookies is to establish and maintain your unique identity over the course of one session. The cookie we place in your browser contains only an arbitrary ID number, and it expires when you log out.
Our online site is designed to log off after 20 minutes of inactivity for security purposes.
These errors usually occur for only a short time. Please return to our web site and try again later.
If you are being looped back to the same page on the order form, or the form is not updating when you make changes, your Web browser may be caching, or storing, an old copy of the page. You can force your browser to update the page by holding down the Shift key on your keyboard and simultaneously clicking the Reload or Refresh button on your browser.
We support all browsers and operating systems.
A three-line advertisement for personal merchandise - excludes guns - (1 item per ad) placed by an individual. Sorry, businesses do not qualify for free ads. Some restrictions apply.
Your item must fall within one of these categories:
Antiques, Collectibles & Hobbies
Articles for Sale
Auto Accessories, Parts & Salvage
Baby & Kids Stuff
Boat Accessories & Parts
Cameras & Photo Equipment
Canoes & Kayaks
Cemetery Lots & Crypts
Electronic & Home Entertainment
Exercise Equipment td>
Furniture & Household Goods
Jewelry & Watches
Lawn & Garden
Machinery, Tools & Building Supplies
Medical & Handicapped Supplies
Outboard Marine Engines
Sail, Surf & Skim Boards
Sporting Goods (no guns)
Swimming Pools & Spas
You may place 15 free ads per month, which include renewal or new ads.
These ads will appear in print on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and online for 7 days at http://tampabay.com/marketplace under the appropriate classifications (ex. items for sale, outboard/marine engines, RV accessories).
When you submit your ad through our Web site you will have the opportunity to schedule the start date. Your ad will run for three days (within the span of Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) beginning on that date. It will appear seven days online.
You may place your free ad online by going to http://freeads.tampabay.com. We’re sorry; free ads are not accepted via telephone, email or fax.
Most everyone has a few items collecting dust at home that they can offer for sale through our classifieds. These categories were chosen so most people can take advantage of the free offer, and at the same time maintain a healthy marketplace for our business advertisers.
Yes! For a minimal charge you may include an attention-getting graphic or bold text with the print version of your ad. You will be able to purchase these in Step 4 or 5 of our six-step order process.
Free ads are limited to three lines of text. If you need more than three lines of text, the cost will increase by $1.00 per line.
Different packages vary in price and length or run. They are very reasonably priced with some packages publishing 30 days, keeping you from having to continually renew your ad. The costs will be calculated for you before you confirm your purchase. Also, you may call our Call Center to place a paid ad or get more information about our rates toll free at
You may renew your free ad by simply logging in to your ad history on the View Account Manager page and rescheduling it. This must be done online at http://freeads.tampabay.com.
You cannot change your free ad within the 3-day run, but you may cancel it by calling 1-877-321-7355.
Your business is important to us. If you are receiving an error message or having other difficulties completing our online order form, please read through the suggestions below.
- Unsure if your order went through? Sometimes an order will be successfully submitted even if you get an error message on the last step. Please click on View Account Manager to see a list of your orders. Please verify your ad is truly not saved before attempting to place the order again
- You’ll notice that your ad looks different on the STEP 3 - Create Your Ad then on STEP 4 - Customize & Preview Your Ad screens. This is because we format your ad to match our paper measurements on the Preview Your Ad screen so that you can see EXACTLY how your ad will appear in our paper.
- ZIP code and state do not match. To verify that the ZIP code is correct, visit http://www.usps.com/zip4/
- Refresh the page. If a page loads only halfway or takes a very long time to load, clicking the “STOP” button at the top of your browser and then clicking “Reload” or “Refresh” often solves the problem.
If none of these suggestions solves your problem, please call toll free 1-877-321-7355 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include as much information in your message as possible, including:
- What point in the ordering process is causing you trouble?
- If you are receiving an error message, what does it say?
- What items are you trying to order?